A Face Wash You Could Eat!
by Kitchen Ladies
I have always felt that whatever you put on your skin you should be able to put in your mouth. After all, the skin is the largest organ in the human body so why would you put anything toxic on it? Of course there is sunscreen which is a must but when at all cost, read the ingredients and choose wisely.
In a time where we are constantly bombarded with toxins in our day-to-day life, here is one that you can eliminate. While it may not hold back the hands of time, it is a skin care that you can feel good about.
My favorite (only five ingredients) is Rosemary Gladstar’s Miracle Grains
– 2 cups of white clay (I used French green clay) **
– 1 cup of finely ground* oats
– ¼ cup of finely ground almonds (grind just enough to leave a touch of “grit” )
– ¼ cup of finely ground lavender
– 1/8 cup poppy seeds
- Combine all the ingredients in a ceramic or wooden bowl and mix with a wooden spoon. Once mixed, store in a glass container. Keep a small jar out for use and refrigerate any leftover, as the mixture contains almonds and they are kept fresh when refrigerated.
- Mix 1-2 tsp of the mixture with warm water in your hand and massage onto your face. Rinse off with warm water.
* I use a small and inexpensive grinder for grinding up small batches of ingredients.
** All ingredients can be found at most health food stores. Also note that white clay tends to be better for more sensitive and more mature skin types while green clay is more suitable for a more oily skin type. I have always made this scrub with white clay but could only find green for this post. Know your clay!
Most important, have fun making it!